Sweet English Pea Soup with Crème Fraiche and Maple Bacon
Posted: May 01 2015
Enjoy the gorgeous colours and tastes of spring with this Sweet English Pea Soup recipe by Chef David Lee of Nota Bene Restaurant.
2 cups Sweet English Peas
6 cups Sweet Pea blanching water
Sugar & Salt to taste
1 Tbsp Butter, diced
1⁄4 cup Crème Fraiche
6 slices cooked Maple Bacon, cut into 1⁄2” pieces Edible flowers petals, for garnish ( optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Season the water with salt and sugar, until there is a good balance of salt & sweetness.
- Set up an ice bath, and place a stainless steel bowl over it.
- Once the water has reached a rolling boil, blanch the peas until soft but still bright green.
- Add the peas and butter to the blender. Puree the peas, adding enough blanching water to produce the desired consistency.
- If not serving immediately, remove the soup to the ice bath, and cool quickly to preserve the color.
- If you are serving immediately, divide the hot soup equally between 4 bowls.
- Add a dollop (roughly 1 Tbsp. per) of crème fraiche in the middle of each soup bowl.
- Scatter the maple bacon over each bowl of soup.
10. Scatter some edible flower petals over top and finish with a drizzle of olive oil – enjoy!
By: Chef David Lee of Nota Bene Restaurant