Kimchi Pancakes Recipe
Posted: Sep 20 2016
Savoury pancakes, or “jeon”, are common in Korean cuisine and typically served as an appetizer, side dish, or snack. In this recipe, we combine our favourite bold superfood, Kimchi, with a batter to create a dish that hits all the right notes- crispy, chewy, spicy, and tangy!
The more fermented the kimchi, the tastier the pancakes will be, so use this recipe as an excuse to clean out your fridge. There are many variations of this dish, but we’ve kept it simple with a basic recipe that comes together in under 15 minutes. Like many home recipes, the measurements listed here are a guide and meant to be adjusted as needed. You can also choose to make the pancakes as little or as large as you please.
What you need:
1 cup kimchi (chopped into small bite size pieces)
2 tablespoons kimchi brine
½ cup water
½ cup all purpose flour
1 small onion (small dice)
Vegetable (or any neutral) oil
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
½ teaspoon hot pepper flakes (optional)
What to do:
- Combine the pancake ingredients and mix until incorporated. The consistency should be runny enough to spread but dry enough to hold a round shape. Add more water or flour as needed.
- Heat a large skillet and coat generously with oil. Leave on medium high heat. Pour 1-2 ladles of the mixture into the pan and spread into a thin layer. To make extra crispy pancakes, add more oil and spread the pancakes very thinly.
- Cook until the bottom of the pancake is crispy and golden brown. Flip the pancake and continue frying until it is cooked all the way through.
- Cut pancake into squares or serve whole.
- Whisk dipping sauce ingredients together and serve on the side. Enjoy!